Piano Technique - Glossary
Heinrich Neuhaus (1888-1964)
● “The Art of Piano Playing”, Praeger Publishers, Inc., New York 1973
This book is considered the pianist's “bible".
IMPORTANT! In spite of its undeniable qualities, this book contains two very important factual errors that, in my opinion, originate with the traditions of piano pedagogy from the 19th century. They concern questions about inertia in the hands and the work of the feet, themes that I develop in this site. Of course Neuhaus knew exactly what to do in order to play, but the way he describes certain important techniques can be confusing for the inexperienced pianist. Thus, I recommend that one should not take literally certain sections of this work.
● “The pianist’s hand - physiological basics of technique”, Polish Music Edition, Cracow, 1982. In Polish only (watch this video).
*Erwin Johann Bach: German pianist and pedagogue, Ferruccio Busoni student
Tobias Matthay (1858-1945)
● "The Act of Touch", Bosworth & Co. Ltd., London 1903
● "The visible and invisible in piano technique", Oxford University Press, New York 1947
Links to these books (English, PDF format) are available on Wikipedia - Bibliography Section.
György Sándor (1912-2005)
● “On Piano Playing: Motion, Sound, Expression”, Schirmer, Boston 1995
Jean-Jacques Eigeldinger (1940-)
● “Chopin: Pianist and Teacher as Seen by His Pupils”, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge 1986